Fun

Removing lotion or oil stains from faux leather

So… I just bought these tan, faux leather flats from target yesterday and went to put them on for the first time after a shower and looked down to see stains on one of them!! I haven’t even worn them yet and I ruined them.

I googled all sorts of different questions and couldn’t find a good answer. I began just blotting it to see if I could absorb any of the lotion but that didn’t do anything. I wiped them off with a wet washcloth, nothing. I began soaping both of them (my moms advice to do the other so they would inevitable match if I couldn’t get them back to normal) and still- nothing.  I used some of my facial toner because there’s alcohol in there, and alcohol absorbs oil but nothing happened except that I removed some of the shoe color. Whoops.
So I glanced over to my jar of baking soda that I keep on my bathroom counter for exfoliation. Hmm.. Salt absorbs oils and baking soda is sodium based so…let’s see what that does. I moistened my finger and rubbed the spots with my wet finger, then dipped my finger in baking soda and lathered up the spots. I let it sit for a minute or so and ‘rinsed’ with a damp wash cloth. The stain was still there but faded.
I repeated this a couple times, each time fading it a tad. Then I went downstairs and had an epiphany. Dish soap. Dish soap cuts grease! Maybe it will cut lotion too..? So I soaked a paper towel in water and doused it with dish soap. I scrubbed the stains (and the other shoe-per moms advice) and let that sit for a minute or so. Then I used a wet paper towel and scrubbed again, removing the soap.
The stain was gone. Haha! Take that cheap shoe!!
Boo-ya.
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

• Reply Adaeze G. June 1, 2014 at 2:48 am

Hi, love your blog! I was wondering did the stain come back or did this work? I just got something(I believe oil) on my boots and am going crazy to get it off. I seen another post of you wearing these flats and the stain was on the shoes.. ???

• Reply Everyday Champagne June 1, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hi Adaeze! No, the stain stayed away for good! It worked great- hope it does for you too. My specific stain was lotion…try this and let me know if it worked for whatever stain you had. Good luck!!

• Reply Everyday Champagne June 1, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oh, and thank you!! 😉

• Reply Melanie July 3, 2015 at 3:33 am

Thank you so much! Worked a treat 🙂

• Reply Sarah January 11, 2016 at 10:54 am

You saved my boots! I wore brand new boots (from Target) to work while we were redoing and cleaning the office, and I got wood polishing oil on them! I was devastated because they were brand new, but I just found this post when googling solutions, and the dish soap worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Reply Everyday Champagne January 11, 2016 at 10:55 am

Oh wow!!! This makes my day! I’m so happy you found this and fixed your awesome boots ;-). Thanks so much for sharing. XO

• Reply Katie G February 24, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Thank you so much!! Just fixed my cheap boots this way, was freaking out but you saved me, they are back to normal. So glad I found your blog. 🙂

• Reply Everyday Champagne February 24, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness!! This makes me so happy to hear!! Thank you for sharing!! So sweet. Hooray for cheap boots!!!! 😉

• Reply Saine February 23, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Thank you so much! I was devastated when I found stains on my new boots (I just got them two days ago for a steal!), but this saved them. You can’t tell they were ever stained unless you look very closely! You rock!

• Reply Everyday Champagne February 24, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Oh, I’m so glad!!! This makes me so happy. We can’t waste a good boot find 😉 Thank you so much for sharing.

• Reply Christy April 3, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Wow!!! So excited to have found your blog. Your method worked on my shoes too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Chouse

• Reply Debi Denney April 16, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Do you think this will work on cooking oil? My son spilled cooking oil on my faux suede couch.

• Reply Everyday Champagne April 17, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Oh no! I can’t say that I know for sure if it would work… I always recommend starting on a small portion of the stain to test. Let me know how it turns out! Good luck

• Reply Happy I found this post April 16, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Thanks for the advise!!! I used dish soap to get out coconut oil in my brand new flats. It was a huge stain, it worked but now the shoe is discolored. Just glad the stain is gone.

• Reply Everyday Champagne April 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Happy to have offered some help 😉 Thanks for your feedback!